A blog about babies: the babies I lost, the babies I never had, the baby who made me a Mama.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Consolations; or, Excitations (But Not Good Vibrations)

Three things have happened in the last few days to give me more optimism about my situation.

1) First (and most excitingly) I asked my favorite professor to be my Oral Exam committee chair, and she agreed!

(For those unfamiliar with the doctoral process, Orals are the qualifying exam that mark the point between coursework (classes) and the dissertation. At my university, they consist of three reading lists of 30-40 texts a piece (so roughly 100 works total) that you choose in conjunction with your three examiners (the professors who are your advisers, who administer your exam, and who will probably read your dissertation). You base these lists around your research interests, read and draw connections between them for several months, and then at the end there's a two-hour Oral Exam, wherein your examiners ask you questions about (potentially) any of the books you were responsible for reading.)

I am legitimately stoked to start reading and prepping for my Orals. Months to devote to delving deeply into Romantic and early-Victorian narrative poetry and novels just sounds like an awesome way to pass the time. My adviser is both brilliant and kind, and I am thrilled to be working with her on Jane Austen, Lord Byron, Walter Scott, and a bunch of other late-18th/early-19th century writers.

I had sort of seized on early February as my potential Orals date, but my adviser thought I could (and should) finish earlier. So now my mental endpoint is November. As in 9 months from now. As in, if I'm not pregnant right now. Which is great! Because if/when I get AF this month I can console myself with the fact that I don't have to delay my exam.

2) The second thing that happened is a result of my Lenten resolution to do nice things for pregnant people. I spoke with my friend E who (some of you may remember) gave birth the day after we found out we'd lost the m&m. E and I had a long chat, we talked about her baby boy, her difficulty breast-feeding because of thrush, and what it's like being a mom.

E also mentioned that her husband (a lawyer) is losing his job and has to find another one. They're looking everywhere--NYC, Colorado, even the Middle East. He was laid off just two years ago after the economy tanked, so this is not something they wanted to go through again, especially not with a new baby. E now most likely has to go back to work very soon, rather than getting the year at home with the baby that she wanted.

And instead of thinking yeah, but at least you have a baby (which in certain moods I might have), I thought I'm really glad I'm not in that situation. I was reminded of the fact that we've all got struggles that try us in different ways. And I know that I can handle mine.

3) The final thing that happened is so insane I hesitate to even mention it. So here goes: yesterday, at 4 dpo, I became convinced that I'm pregnant. I know. Madness. A little cramping does not a pregnancy indicate. I think I've forgotten what a regular 2ww feels like, since I haven't had one in almost six months. And then I woke up a little early this morning to pee. I don't even need a pee stick to make this diagnosis, right?

This is complete insanity that's going to bite me in the ass so hard it'll leave teeth marks. So it's a good thing I've got reason #1 to keep my dreams in check.

9 comments:

  1. This is ALL such good stuff. Congrats on snagging your favorite prof for your Orals! My husband is getting his PhD so I have a bit of an idea how important it is to work with someone you respect and who respects you. Sounds like an awesome plan with the Nov deadline.

    You are doing awesome, and I love all of the positives you've pinpointed in your life!!

    As for #3, we are all holding our breaths with you that your intuition proves to be correct!!! (I am a huge believer in gut feelings.) Keep nurturing that hope, it's a wonderful thing to have. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I hope I hope you're right about #3...the fact that everything else seems to be falling into place probably helps.

    I'm 4dpo today, and I'm had some cramping and a little tenderness up top....crossing my fingers for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post-- I'm loving all three of these. You have such great perspective that everything is going to work out for the best.

    I'm so hoping that your intuition is right!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear everything is looking positive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, didn't you have a similar intuition during the cyce you got the BFP in? You could be onto something! I have my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm looking forward to following your journey.

    First, congratulations on getting your favorite prof to be your Orals chair! That's great news. I had a good friend go through this process a few years ago and know how grueling it can be!

    Second, what a great thing to set out to do...do kind things for pregnant people. You took a great step today with your friend.

    I hope your intuition proves to be on this cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew at 5 DPO that I was pregnant. I felt the implantation happen. And 7 days later. . . BFP. I always knew early on. To me, the feelings of pregnancy are pretty recongizable.

    Here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I hope you truly are happy, and that will make #1 even more special. I'm sorry to hear about #2, but glad that you're being nice to pregnant people. When I was in the RE's office last time, I began to wonder if it was socially acceptable to trip a pregnant woman. I know! Shame on me! Anyway. Congrats on #1, and good luck on #3. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great post, good things are happening, and I'm crossing my fingers they continue! Especially relating to your #3 vibes, intuition is a powerful thing and I'm hoping yours is right on this cycle!!!

    ReplyDelete