A blog about babies: the babies I lost, the babies I never had, the baby who made me a Mama.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ultrasound Update; or, "Baby's" "First" "Picture"

My husband and I had our second appointment with my gynecologist yesterday. In the past week, the m&m has gone from a tiny, barely distinguishable black smudge on the ultrasound to a round silver dollar shape.

We didn't see anything inside the gestational sac--no yolk sac or fetal pole--so my doctor couldn't definitively date the pregnancy and we don't know if the embryo is developing normally. But it's still so early, as she pointed out, that we wouldn't expect to see those things yet. She seemed pleased with the development in the last week, although still cautious.

I'll post the ultrasound scans below. My husband and I can't stop looking at the print outs and smiling. I'm amused at the fact that we love this picture so much when no part of our future child is actually visible in it! So, not really a first picture of a baby, but the closest thing we have to that right now.

We go back to the doctor in two weeks, on Wednesday Nov, 11. I'll be about 7 1/2 weeks at that point, so we will most likely see a fetus and heartbeat if there's anything to see. These next two weeks will pass so slowly. I can't wait to get the reassurance of those images and see the picture of my developing baby. And I'm so scared about what could happen in the meantime.

1 comment:

  1. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I checked your blog about 50 times for this update yesterday-- couldn't wait to see the pics of the m&m! I'm so glad that your appointment went well and I'm hoping that the next two weeks fly by for you...

    I hope that you'll post soon about your ideas for the nursery you've been decorating and redecorating in your head!

    ReplyDelete