I was planning to post 2009: the Year of Suck today. But I'm sitting on my couch, watching the snow blanket the city, enjoying the quietness and peace of the weather and the fire in our fireplace. Lawyer Guy is home from a week-long business trip, we had a delicious brunch, we're listening to the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack and we're planning to spend the afternoon baking cookies. Life just feels too good to dwell on the Suck.
So I bring you 2009: the Year of Not So Bad, my intended follow-up, instead.
- I presented my first paper at my first professional conference and I didn't make a total fool of myself.
- I traveled with my husband to Rome and London.
- My sister just below me in age (I have three younger sisters) moved to NYC after ten years in Montreal, China, and San Francisco.
- That same sister got engaged to a really wonderful guy who makes her very happy.
- My husband's job remained secure and he received a raise during a tough economic time.
- I realized I enjoy teaching, despite its challenges.
- I've had a really good hair year. Seriously, my colorist's done a great job, it's growing out nicely, and it's very soft and shiny.
So that's been the good. And I'm honestly appreciative for all of it (especially the hair part--it's taken me years of restorative treatments to get to this point. And I'm only slightly kidding about this).
I'll still post on The Year of Suck, probably when I'm feeling pissy and cranky and fed up with life. That day is not today.
Coming up: 2009: The Year of Suck and Plans for the Awesome Year of Hope and Achievement
I'm back, and it's hopefully not a once-off!!
3 weeks ago