A blog about babies: the babies I lost, the babies I never had, the baby who made me a Mama.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thanks SlackieO; or, I'm a Prize-Winning Hog!


Slackie O gave me a prize! Thank you, Slackie! In the muck of feeling pretty depressed about AF's most recent visit (and trying very hard to be optimistic about it), I neglected to pass the award on to others. But since I'm looking for distractions from my depressing reproductive track record here, I thought now the perfect time to comply with this award's stipulations.

The rules are:
1. Thank the person who gave you the award. (Thanks Slackie!)
2. Tell 7 things about yourself that readers may not know.
3. Pay it forward by nominating 8 bloggers you’ve recently discovered.

And here are some surprising (or maybe not so surprising) details about me:

1. My dream is to become a published novelist. I finished one complete novel before I went back to grad school four years ago and have several other incomplete starts and stops on my computer (as well as countless scenes and plot ideas in my head). It's hard to write fiction regularly while also working toward the PhD, but I haven't abandoned my first love.

2. I'm the oldest of four sisters, and I've always loved how many 4-girl families there are in literature. The Little House on the Prairie series and Little Women were some of my favorites as a child, partially because I loved to imagine my own family as the characters. But I was annoyed that the second daughter was always the writer while the eldest either got married really young and wound up a widow or was way too perfect and then went blind (umm, spoiler alert?).

3. I can't parallel park. I fortunately did not have to attempt it to get my license, because Pennsylvania didn't require it for a few years (I barely passed the exam as it was, so that was lucky). My husband tried to teach me when we moved to Brooklyn and started street parking, but gave it up as a hopeless cause. And now we park in a garage, so I have once again evaded having to learn.

4. One of the things I love most to do in Manhattan is take long walks by myself in nice weather. Years ago, I used to walk walk home from my first job on 34th street to my apartment on East 89th almost every day (that's roughly two miles). I'll walk from Midtown East to the Upper West Side, from SoHo to the LES. I love to walk through Irving Place and Grammercy on late summer evenings. I feel like I have time to think and be truly alone and to notice how the city changes around me.

5. I like to cook, but I'm not very good at it. Most of my fights with Lawyer Guy happen when I'm in the kitchen, because I invariably screw something up and get really mad about it and start yelling (which I almost never do any other time). We routinely eat at 10 or 10:30 pm because I'm too ambitious for my own good and insist on trying a new recipe and don't start it until 7 and then take a really long time to do everything. But I love it when something turns out well!

6. My favorite museum is the Frick, which contains my favorite painting, Whistler's Symphony in Flesh Color and Pink: Portrait of Mrs. Leyland Howard. (You can see the painting--and hear a brief curator's lecture on it--here). I love 19th-century painting generally and Whistler most of all. The Fragonard Room at the Frick is also amazing.



7. I love to sing. My whole family sings all the time, my dad especially. When I was a kid, I was so embarrassed that he would sing country songs in line at the bank or the grocery store, but now I walk around singing to myself, too (and always bust out a descant during "Happy Birthday"). I've sung in choirs nearly all my life. I've got special songs picked out for our babies: lullabies for boys and lullabies for girls. I sang to the m&m everyday that I was pregnant, and after the miscarriage, I couldn't get through the song I had picked out for him or her without choking on my tears. I really, really want a baby to sing to (I know that's not something new or surprising, but that's just how this blog is sometimes, I guess).

Most blogs I read and list in my Blogroll are ones I've been following for a while, so I'm going to have to define "recently" rather loosely. That said, here are the prizes I'm passing on to some wonderful bloggers who deserve every happiness in life:

1. Overcoming Obstickles
2. Katie at From If to When
3. Kelly at The Rabbit Test
4. Rebecca at Trying Not To Scream
5. Adele at Delinquent Eggs
6. Sienna at It's Baby Time~!!
7. The Port of Indecision
8. Only Time Will Tell

12 comments:

  1. Keep continue you will find your desires soon...
    Health and Happiness Pill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your award! I don't know some of these bloggies you've mentioned and am really excited to check them out.

    Keep taking those wonderful walks and keep your chin up. I just know you are *thisclose* to realizing your dreams. Hang in there Slopie. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I loooove walking - one of the definite perks to living in a city. You learn so much by just taking in the scenery :)

    I didn't get the chance to comment on your last post, and I am really sorry this isn't your month. Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fun list!! And beyond cool about the novels, what type of of stuff do you write about?? And I totally love walking too, especially when I visit NYC...there is just so much stuff to see and half of it you would only catch when you're walking around!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww...thanks for the mention, Sloper!

    I loved reading this. Also, I can't parallel park to save my damn life either. Solidarity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the award!! i love walking in theory, but hate getting sweaty, esp in the summer time. i always ask dh if he can carry me, to which he always says i'm a big girl and should walk. hmph! jk. i know sooo many families with 4 girls (and 3 as well), so i love making personality comparisons between oldest, middle, youngest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha I cannot parallel park either. In fact I totally MISSED it in my driving test and the instructor said "Ok...you have to get at least in the cones so I can count it as an attempt!" Bwhahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to reading your first published novel!!! You must let us know when it comes out-- you'll have kids by then, of course, and hopefully so will most of us, but we'll still check back in from time to time, I imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm also huge Alcott and Little House fan. My husband loves to make fun of the books to get my goat. And, he happens to be from Concord, MA, so I've been to the Alcott house--very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Sloper. And I learned so much about you! I love that Whistler painting too, and I feel the same way about walking (we used to live very close to one another, I think!). You're right about the eldest of four sisters in literature - not very fair!

    And you will sing those lullabies. Maybe a few of them will be sad in parts, because they'll also touch on what you've lost. But you WILL sing them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the award. It must have been fun being in a house full of girls. I too have a dream to be published. I have been working on a memoir for four years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww...congrats on the award and for nominating me too! As you see, I have been so freakishly delinquent in blogging that it took me A WHOLE WEEK to even notice this! At least now I have some impetus to post something!

    ReplyDelete