A blog about babies: the babies I lost, the babies I never had, the baby who made me a Mama.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Thickening the Plot; or, I Call In the Experts

So, two new bits of info to add to the CBEFM saga today (CD 25- still High fertility):

1. I took my temp this morning. It was 98.0. Yes, I know, one measly temp in the middle of a cycle is hardly something to build an opinion around. But I compared it to my past charts (I charted consistently from November '08-June '09) and found that I never hit 98 or above until after ovulation. My coverline was always in the 97s, usually somewhere between 97.3 and 97.8. Probably means nothing, but there you have it. My CM is also a bit less detectable. Oh, and the thermometer was pretty cold when I stuck it in my mouth (it was in a drawer for 6 months).

2. I called the CBEFM help hotline. They told me a) I'm supposed to wait 2 cycles after being pregnant before using the monitor again to give my hormones time to chill the fuck out (yeah, oops), and b) it's unlikely that I ovulated without the monitor detecting it. The woman on the phone thought that I was likely going to ovulate quite late or not at all while my body readjusts to being unpregnant (not her word). She said to keep using the test sticks until the monitor stopped requesting them, to give it more data.

BUT-- anecdotal evidence indicates you CAN ovulate without the monitor detecting it, even though they claim that's not possible. Of course, that doesn't mean I did. The latest I ever ovulated was CD 30--coincidentally, the first cycle we started TTC. And, of course, this is only the second month I'm using this thing (such drama in its short life). From what I've found online, a lot of people don't show a Peak reading the first or second months they use it, as it adjusts to their bodies and hormone levels.

So, my experienced buddies-- thoughts on the temp? Experiences using the CBEFM? Should I keep on temping? (I'm thinking of supplementing with it anyway)

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to give you some advice--you can take it or leave it, I won't be offended, just my thoughts...trust me, I know what you're going through, I'm in the midst of it myself, as you know.

    I don't even know what half of the abbreviations you're using mean. I've never taken my temperature while trying to get pregnant--come to think of it, I don't even think we own a thermometer. I was actually talking about trying to figure out when I'm going to ovulate with my hubby last night and he said to me, "You know what? Let's just not worry about it. The more you worry, the harder it will be. Whatever happens, happens. We'll just have sex when we want and keep a positive attitude, and it'll happen."

    At first, I didn't agree with him AT ALL. I had been thinking about charting and all that stuff, but the more I thought about it, I think he's right. Worrying about all of that will just increase my stress level. As long as we try to have sex regularly in the middle of the cycle, I think that will be enough for now. I'm going to just go with the flow, and it'll happen eventually. If it doesn't after 9-12 months, we'll go get things checked out.

    So, after all that rambling, my advice to you is to just try to go with the flow. Trying to get pregnant shouldn't be like a job, it should be fun! :)

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I respect Gidget's advice and believe that it works for her, it wouldn't work for me-- My cycles are very irregular, I ovulate anywhere from CD20-CD45 and DH and I aren't able to have sex regular enough to just leave it up to chance that we'll hit the right days. Plus, we've been trying almost a year and have moved on to the fertility meds...

    As you know, I temp, and 98.0 sure sounds like a post-o temp to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Gidget. I know your advice wasn't mean as anything other than kindness from your heart. . . but TTC (trying to conceive) is a lot less fun after a miscarriage. I became a Sex-Nazi after mine!

    If you CAN take Gidget's advice, please do so! But if you are like the rest of us that have had losses, then I would say that temping is a good method, but it is VERY individualized and takes several cycles to figure out. For ME, 98.0 would have been post-o, but it might not be one for you. So, perhaps keep temping through the rest of this cycle (if it goes up, that's a great pregnancy sign), and then start temping in future cycles from day 1. If nothing else, it gives you a feeling of "doing something" each day and seeing the patterns.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the advice, everyone. Gidget, I get where you're coming from and think that "just relaxing" is probably the best course of action for you and your husband. I'm in a different place in my TTC (trying to conceive) journey with cycles that are very similar to Stef's and require greater monitoring (and perhaps at some point, intervention).

    Plus, after almost a year of this, the "fun" is pretty much gone. Never a bad idea to try to bring it back, though!

    ReplyDelete